Thursday, January 21, 2010

My First Time

You know how it goes, "If everybody else is doing it, it must be cool."

Now i've never considered myself a conformist, so I'm going to justify my actions as well as let you know what this blog is all about.

I've had a passion for film for as long as I can remember, but up until now it has only manifested itself by way of petty arguments such as justifying my hatred of Christian Bale, or explaining why Jon Lovitz is the most underrated actor/comedian of our time. However, just recently I took a more proactive approach, I got a job with Menemsha Films (which I will continue to describe with great detail throughout this blog), and began to immerse myself in the world of Independent and Foreign Film.

Like any other submersion I started off slowly. I dipped my toes in to test the waters by watching the classics - Seven Samurai, The 400 Blows, 8 1/2 etc... Then, after finding out which directors I liked more than others (Akira Kurosawa, Jan Hrebejk, and Ingmar Bergman), I dove into their filmographies. Discovering the waters to be quite refreshing I now find myself coming back as often as possible, by keeping my eye open for new releases as well as searching for older, more obscure films (Harakiri, Zabriskie Point to name a few) and setting up an account with The Auteurs, a site where you can stream classic films for a small fee.

So if you are interested in the world of Independent Film, yet find it overwhelming and intimidating, consider this blog a Independent Film 101 without any of the homework or papers. Where I will be doing less leading but more wandering in wide-eyed innocence along with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment